Saturday 11 January 2014

January's book | Alice's Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll

I've officially finished reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, which means I've completed this months book for my 2014 book challenge! (If you are unaware of my challenge, and one of the main reasons I started this blog, you can find out more here.) I really enjoyed revisiting Alice and reliving her many adventures and all of the nonsensical characters she encounters along the way.



It was really interesting to reread this book, as I haven't picked it up since reading it as a child. And I must say, I was surprised by how quickly it transported me back to that time in my life. I was suddenly back in my childhood home, and I was reminded of the thoughts and feelings I experience when I first read it. 

I adore Alice as a character, and even as a 23 year old tall child adult, I couldn't believe how much I related to her. Her thoughts are constantly bouncing back and forth, and she constantly strives for perfection, and puts more pressure on her image than any child should. This is a very adult quality for a child to possess and perhaps this is why this book was so popular with both children and adults. 

Most of us are more familiar with the Disney version of this tale, myself included, and it was really fun to revisit all of the characters and scenes that the films dismissed. There is a lovely scene, in particular, where Alice, a gryphon and a turtle exchange stories, songs and poems (muddled up and nonsensical ones, of course!) The imagery was beautiful, and I found myself completely immersed in it. 

One of the things I love about this book is that it promotes imagination and creativity. Theres a beautiful scene right at the very end where Alice's sister closes her eyes and images that all of the everyday noises such as the rustling of the grass, and the tinkling sheep-bells are the noises of the white rabbit scuffling about and the sounds of the teacups at the Mad Hatters tea party. She is reluctant to open her eyes, because she knows that everything will turn back to normal, and be ordinary again. 

It's very symbolic of the transitioning from childhood to adulthood. And this book, not only promotes that grand imagination present in most children, but begs adults not to lose sight of the nonsensical and the whimsical. (Maybe this is why I love Wes Anderson movies so much...) 

I'm very happy that January's book challenge is completed, and I loved the fact that it forced me to revisit this childhood classic. I look forward to now rereading Through the Looking-Glass and what Alice found there.


Favourite quotes: 

"It's no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then."

"We're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it.)"


2 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading your thoughts, glad you had a good time rereading this book. I actually only read it for the first time a few years ago... Why did I never read it as a child? I loved it! I think there's a lot to be said for embracing the whimsical. Perhaps the would be a nicer place if more people did :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could agree more! I'm glad you read it, even if you didn't read it when you were little, it's never too late!

      I'm thinking of reading some Roald Dahl books again soon :) x

      Delete

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...