Monday 18 August 2014

August Book Challenge: The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling Review

Before I start this review, I just want to make it clear that I desperately wanted to like this book. The Jungle Book is one of my most loved childhood films (both live-action and Disney animated) and I couldn't wait to revisit this book.

I'm not sure if I unintentionally tripped myself up by expecting great things or that I'm too used to the heavily adapted film versions, but I struggled to enjoy this book. It's a lot more violent and revenge-filled than the adaptation and it worked in parts, however at times I found the uproar unnecessary. 

The book is a collection of various short stories about the wildlife that live in the jungle. Well-loved characters Mowgli, Baloo and Bagheera are the subjects of quite a few of the stories, but not all. Although the theme of friendship and family is constant throughout, I think the message often got lost amongst fighting scenes.

Each short story was used as a fable to teach moral lessons to children at the time it was written. It was also speculated that they represented the politics of society at the time. I usually enjoy novels that encompass those themes, however, I think that I am too used to the adapted versions to fully appreciate this book.
 

 
| follow me | tweet me | email me |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...