Thursday 24 April 2014

World Book Night 2014

I celebrated World Book Night for the first time last night! I'm embarrassed to admit that I'd never heard of it before, but I'm so glad I know of it now. 

World Book Night is run by The Reading Agency and it is an event that encourages reluctant readers to pick up a book and experience the joy of reading. "Because everything changes when we read."

There were all sorts of attractions happening at the Library of Birmingham including pop-up book clubs and a Q&A seminar with best selling authors Adele Parks, Matt Haig, Jane Fallon and Ben Aaronovitch. 






The Q&A quickly turned into a lively debate and discussion about books and reading. It was really interesting to hear the authors different views and which books have inspired them. The main theme of the evening was to be unashamed about reading. Be proud of the books that you enjoy and don't follow the crowd just because a certain book or genre is in vogue. 

They also all agreed to not feel guilty about abandoning books you don't enjoy - life is too short to waste time on bad books! 

I managed to ask my own question to the group and received some wonderful responses and advice regarding my own writing. At the end of the event managed to met Adele Parks and Matt Haign who signed the books they were giving away.

I also collected four more World Book Night books which I am going to donate to my local hospital and will hopefully be doing my bit to convince a reluctant reader to pick up a book!


Did anybody else celebrate World Book Night last night? What did you get up to?

| follow me | tweet me | email me |

9 comments:

  1. Hope you enjoyed World Book Night! Thanks for visiting my Book Beginnings/Friday 56 post and commenting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. It's such a fun idea for a post. :) x

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great event! I haven't been reading a lot lately so I'm one if those people who need to pick up a book ;) I hope you're having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. It really was. I'd recommend you checking it out next year! :) x

      Delete
  4. I had never heard of World Book Night either! You aren't alone! It looks like so much fun though, glad you enjoyed yourself :)

    Katrina @ Chased By My Imagination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Phew! Glad I wasn't the only one! x

      Delete
  5. Ah, it sounds like you had a fantastic time! I adore Jane (her books are great and she's absolutely hilaire) and Matt is lovely too, I met him at LBF last year. I wish I could've been there! :(

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...