Sunday 7 December 2014

What I'm reading in December


If you're anything like me, you have a lot of books - too many unread ones to keep track of, in fact. So this month, what with Christmas coming up and time off work coming up, I'm excited to get through a lot of books!

This month I'll be reading The Woman in White as a part of my 2014 book challenge (I can't believe it's almost over!) but I've also picked out a few personal reads that I'm looking forward to starting this month.

  • How Not to Write a Novel by Sandra Newman and Howard Mittelmark
It's always been a dream of mine to write my own novel. Storytelling has always been something that I have been fascinated by (obviously...) but I've never really given it much thought in the past as I have always doubted my abilities. Well, this year I decided to cast those fears aside and take part in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) and I won! I hit 50,000 words in a month and I couldn't be prouder.

But here comes the hard part: revising my novel. It is far from perfect. In fact, it's a lot closer to the awful category but this gives me a great start and a lot of material to work with, revise and mold into what I want it to be. This book outlines exactly what not to do, and I must admit, I've already committed quite a few of the sins outlined in this book, so I know that there will be a lot to learn from it!

  • Let it Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle
This book is a compilation of YA love stories set during the holiday season. I've heard that these stories intertwine with characters and locations which I'm looking forward to. I've got a mental image of a young adult and American version of Love Actually. Although, this might be because I have recently rewatched that film. (Tis the season!)

My own book is actually in the YA genre and once I'd completed NaNoWriMo, I wanted to revisit the works of authors that had inspired me in the past, one of which being John Green. I'm also really looking forward to getting stuck into a Christmas read.

  • Shopaholic to the Stars by Sophie Kinsella
The seventh Shopaholic book is here (!!) I've been a loyal fan of Sophie Kinsella and particularly the Shopaholic series for a long time now. I read the first one about six years ago and have been hooked ever since, devouring each new novel as it came out.

I love Sophie's writing style - it's so relatable and realistic. It almost feels as if an old friend is speaking directly to you. Full of wit, humour and out-of-control situations, self-confessed shopaholic, Rebecca Bloomwood has always kept me at the edge of my seat wanted to know what was going to happen next. I can't wait to read the latest installment and all of the crazy situations she's bound to get herself into!


What books are you planning to read this month?

 
| follow me | tweet me | email me |

3 comments:

  1. Congratulations on finishing NaNoWriMo! I've been looking for a good book on revising my novel so I think I'm going to have to have a look at How Not To Write A Novel.

    Rosie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm about half way through so far, Rosie and I've already learnt so much from it. :)

      Delete
  2. So lucky to have finished the NaNoWRiMo! I tried but finals week took to much time away from me to actually sit down and write something worth while. It was a struggle to do. What is the biggest writing sin that you think you have done? Also I need to get let it snow soon! Only 14 more days for christmas.

    xoxo
    buildingtheconfidence.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...