Friday 9 January 2015

Dixit Board Game Review







One of my absolute favourite things to do over Christmas and New Year is to play new board games accompanied by red wine and a cheese board. (How very decadent!) 

Each year Mom and I will pick out a new game that we like the look of purely for this reason. However, we usually end up with a slightly different version of Monopoly. Although a lot of people find it boring, I LOVE it and have racked up nine versions!

I was hoping to hit number 10 and had my eye on an Adventure Time themed board, but my Mom and boyfriend were close to breaking point if they were forced to play yet another game of Monopoly, so with a bit of research, we stumbled upon Dixit.

 

I'd never heard of it before and I'm annoyed that I hadn't discovered it sooner. It's a beautifully illustrated game that's all about storytelling. Each player chooses six cards, the next more beautiful than the last, and attempt to come up with a word, phrase or sound that will describe it. Players will have to match the pictures to the story and encourages you to use your imagination to its fullest. 

The board is a plush green forest scene complete with cobblestones and red and white spotted mushrooms. The player pieces are wooden rabbits of different colours, which I think is a lovely touch. It's a very whimsical game that can truly transport you to anywhere your imagination will take you. 

The structure of the game will not work unless there are at least 3 players or more players so it's definitely one to break out at a party!



| follow me | tweet me | email me |

7 comments:

  1. Great post! This games sounds lovely. Those rabbit pieces are adorable :)
    Just starting with board games myself. Got "Pandemic" for Christmas and am hooked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking about getting Pandemic - it looked really fun :) x

      Delete
  2. Wow, I haven't heard of this game but it sounds great (: I LOVE to play board games, so classics are a must, but I love 'alternative' games even more. I just did a post on a few of my favorites if you're looking for more ideas! Let me know if you try any of them! http://oshirodesign.blogspot.com/2015/01/10-unique-games-youll-want-to-play.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow. I'm only just getting into lesser known games, so your post is going to be a real eye-opener. Thanks for sharing :) x

      Delete
  3. Ooh, that looks beautiful! And the concept is so different from other board games. Thank you for sharing (it will help to break up the monotony of Monopoly!)
    Beth x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem. I'm completely in love with it, you should definitely try it out. :) x

      Delete
  4. Ooh, this game sounds interesting! At Christmas we always end up playing trivial pursuit... We've played it so often, we're remembering answers even if we don't really know what it is xD

    ReplyDelete

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...