Monday 3 November 2014

November Reading Challenge: Robert Burns




You know the old saying - a poem a day keeps the doctor away. Okay, that's not exactly how it goes, but I'm a firm believer that poetry is just as valuable for your health and well-being as a physical checkup. When written correctly, poems can evoke some pretty powerful emotions from its reader.

It's just as well that I have a love of poetry as this month's Waterstones calendar writer is celebrated Scottish poet, Robert Burns. I'm looking forward to delving into his works throughout the month of November.

This quote is taken from Man was Made to Mourn, a poem that outlines the plight of the working man. It's quite a lengthy poems and reads like a narrative, which is ideal for lovers of fiction who want to start reading more poetry.

A poet in my Waterstones calendar challenge couldn't have come at a better time as I will also be participating in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this month and didn't like the idea of committing myself to a full novel for my monthly reading challenge as I'd like to concentrate on my own writing and hitting that 50,000 word count! I've also got plenty in my TBR pile to be getting on with this month alongside NaNoWriMo.

Do you read poetry regularly? And if so, who's your favourite poet?
 
 
| follow me | tweet me | email me |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...