Wednesday 30 July 2014

Ready, Set, Write.

For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to write. However, I've never fully felt confident in my abilities to create my own stories, but that, in no way stopped the urge. I've always felt connected to novelists in a way I've never fully understood, and rather than doubt myself, I've decided to actually do something about it!

I've made a commitment to myself to write more. Create my own stories and use language creatively in my spare time is something that I've always wanted to do, but have never gotten into the routine, so with this in mind, I headed down to the shops, and bought myself some supplies!

These three books have already been such a huge help in pushing me into writing. Ready, Steady, Novel! by Chris Baty, Lindsey Grant and Tavia Stewart-Streit (of National Novel Writing Month) is probably my favourite of the three. It leads you through each stage of planning a novel. It's wildly informative and encourages you to complete tasks about character development, plot and settings. 

So far I have already written out a timeline for my main character, created a mood board and written half a dozen scenes. And if you're not feeling very productive, there's a Procrastination Station at the back where you can colour-in great novelists of the past!




642 Things to Write About is also great. It lists so many different interesting topics, which is perfect for when you're struggling with writers block! I've only filled in a couple of the pages so far, but I'm looking forward to using it as a writing prompt.

And the Book Journal is just something fun I picked up from my last visit to Paperchase. (I really shouldn't be allowed to step foot inside that shop!) And each page prompts you to write notes about books that you're currently reading. I think it's going to be a great way to help me keep track, and also a great reference tool when I write my reviews.

I'd love to know if anybody else writes creatively in their free time. How do you keep yourself motivated?  
 
| follow me | tweet me | email me |

No comments:

Post a Comment

Got something to say? Leave a comment! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...